Pinned How to prevent being scammed?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to prevent being scammed?

It has come to our attention that lately there have been an increase in hacking/scamming activities. As a team, there is only as much that we can do when it comes to account scamming/hacking. One of those things that we can do is to inform players as much as possible about the different (known) ways that these activities take place so in case you encounter it, you would know how to react. This thread is a compilation of all what we have experienced and from what has already been posted on the forum.

We hope that you inform your friends as well about this thread so they can protect themselves as well as protecting others. In the end, you have your own security in your hands.

Here are the known possible ways to fall for a scam and get hacked:

How to prevent being scammed? [discussion]

ex-BA @ Metin2.co.uk - ex-BA @Metin2.com

- Retired -

It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can stop him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important - MLK
    • I am GM. Give me your log in details![random name]

Case:
      A user PM's you on forum, in-game PM or e-mail and asks you for your in-game details(user name and password). This user says that he is a GM. Do you give your account details?

NO!

Reason:
      • A real GM has [JGM], [GM], [SGM], [EC], [GA] or [TM] in front of their names.
      • A Staff member will NEVER ask for your account details(user name and password)!
      • Click on the Team Members list page for current Game Team members.

Action:
      Take a screenshot of the conversation and submit a ticket at the Support System with the unedited screenshot.

- Retired -

It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can stop him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important - MLK
    • I am GM. Give me your log in details![GM related name]

Case:
      A user PM's you on forum, in-game PM or e-mail and asks you for your in-game details(user name and password). This user says that he is a GM. Their name looks like a GM. These are for example:
      lGMlCadee, iGmlHestia, iSGmiTorana, etc.
      Do you give your account details?

NO!

Reason:
      • A real GM has [JGM], [GM], [SGM], [EC], [GA] or [TM] in front of their names. Take notice of the [...] symbols used at the beginning and the end.
      • A Staff member will NEVER ask for your account details(user name and password)!
      • Click on the Team Members list page for current Game Team members.

Action:
      • Take a screenshot of the conversation and submit a ticket at the Support System with the unedited screenshot.
      • If you doubt, ask the [GM] to teleport to you. A yellow <GM> sign will be clearly visible floating about their heads.

- Retired -

• Please visit this website![unknown person]

Case:
      An unknown person PM's you and tells you that for whatever reason, you should visit a certain website and provides you with a link. Usually it's with the reason "I have seen video's of you on this website" but it can be something else as well. When you go to this website, it looks a lot like our main portal. Should you enter your details(user name and password)?

NO!

Reason:
      There are scammers that copy the full main portal to make it look as if you are on the main Metin 2 Page. If you put in your details, these will be automatically be transfered to the scammer/hacker who will use these details to log in your in-game character and steal everything from you. When you want to enter your log in details on the Metin 2 UK Portal, make sure that in the web bar there are either of two URL's displayed:

http://metin2.co.uk
      or
      http://www.metin2.co.uk

If it says anything other than that, DO NOT ENTER YOUR DETAILS!

Action:
      Take a screenshot of the conversation and submit a ticket at the Support System with the unedited screenshot.

- Retired -

• Please visit this website![known person]

Case:
      A known person (friend, guild member, wife, husband, etc.) PM's you and tells you that for whatever reason, you should visit a certain website and provides you with a link. Usually it's with the reason "I have seen video's of you on this website" but it can be something else as well. When you go to this website, it looks a lot like our main portal. Should you enter your details(user name and password)?

NO!

Reason:
      There are scammers that copy the full main portal to make it look as if you are on the main Metin 2 Page. If you put in your details, these will be automatically be transfered to the scammer/hacker who will use these details to log in your in-game character and steal everything from you. The probable reason why a friend is PM'ing you this link is because he/she has been scammed/hacked already. You think you can trust him/her and will end up being scammed/hacked yourself.

When you want to enter your log in details on the Metin 2 UK Portal, make sure that in the web bar there are either of two URL's displayed:

http://metin2.co.uk
      or
      http://www.metin2.co.uk

If it says anything other than that, DO NOT ENTER YOUR DETAILS!

Action:

- Retired -

• Any procedure that involves your items in your inventory [usually with the remark of making it +9 etc]

Case:
      Someone PM's you and tells you to come to him. When you are there these scammers will tell you that you need to follow through a few procedures with your equipped items and that if you exactly how they tell you it will be possible to, for example, upgrade your item with 100% success or some other reason that sounds very tempting. Should I continue doing what they are telling me to do (which usually involved your items that are EQUIPPED!)?

NO!

Reason:
      There is no trick on making 100% upgradeable items. What this scam does is that it will, through the procedure that the scammer tells you to do, drop your equipped item. When this drops on the floor they will quickly pick it up and dissapear, leaving you with nothing.

Action:

- Retired -

• I change/add bonus and I remove broken stones!

Case:
      You may see someone saying something in any form of chat where they advertise themselves as players who add bonus for you, change them or remove broken stones from your items. You happen to have an item that needs bonus adding or some pesky broken stones that you want removed. Should I give my items to this player to do what they advertise?

THINK FIRST!

Reason:
      Before giving your items to someone, you must ask yourself this:
      • How well do you know this player?
      • Is he/she trustworthy?
      • Is it the real player?

These kind of in-game deals will remain between both players. So if you think that you know this player well, that he/she is trustworthy, then you still have to deal with if it is the real player or if he/she has been hacked and that it is the hacker offering these services. For more on this click here. In the end, this is YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY! So - think first - before making any decisions. It may end costing you your items!

Action:
      Unfortunately we cannot do anything when this happens. Players are responsible for their own items when they agree in the trade window.

- Retired -

• I add Dragon Coins to your account!

Case:
      Someone PM's you or advertise on call that they will add Dragon Coins to your account. You really can use some Dragon Coins for some refining you want to do on your character but you cannot buy them yourself for whatever reason. Should I contact this person about it?

THINK FIRST!

Reason:
      There are 3 ways for you to obtain Dragon Coins:
      1. You reload your account yourself with credit card, pay pal, moneybookers etc..
      2. Dragon Coins Coupons. Click here for more information.
      3. The scammers reload your account for you.

The first one is common knowledge. The second one is a newly introduced way to safely trade in Dragon Coins. The third way usually ends up in a scam. For them to reload your account with Dragon Coins themselves, they will need your account details. Once you give these scammers your account details to reload your Dragon Coins, they will log in your account and steal all your items and most likely delete your account. Bottom line is to NEVER give your account details to anyone and especially when they are advertising of reloading your account with Dragon Coins!

Action:
      Unfortunately we cannot do anything when this happens. Even in cases of Dragon Coins Coupons, it will still be your own risk for both parties to come through with the deal made.

- Retired -

• MSN/Skype/Yahoo chat (or other popular chatting programs)

Case:
      Someone adds you to MSN and asking you to become a staff member(GM/Mod/etc). They tell you that in order for you to become a staff member you have to give them your login details. Will you do that?

NO!

Reason:
      As convincing as it might look, NO Staff member will EVER ask you for your login details. Our only official communications methods are via the Support System or via IRC chat.

Action:
      Take a screenshot of the conversation and submit a ticket at the Support System with the unedited screenshot. If it is on IRC, type the following command:

/whois name For example: /whois Sun

If you get the following message (or similar), it means you are in direct contact with a Metin 2 UK staff member: Sun is Sun@Sun.boardadmin.Metin2Com * Sun Guru

- Retired -

• A forum PM with a link in it

Case:
      You get a forum PM with a link to, supposedly, an item you were trying to buy or any other link. Do you click on the link immediately?

THINK FIRST!

Reason:
      There are those that try to install a keylogging software on your computer. When you click those links, it will try to install a software on your PC that will record your keystrokes and thus will hack your account.

Action:
      DO NOT click on the link! Immediately forward the PM to an SMod or BA. In case you have clicked on it, perform a virus scan on your computer with an updated anti-virus software.

- Retired -

• General Account Sharing

Case:
      You marry someone or maybe someone is your friend and you want to share account with this person. This person ends up hating you and changes your password and/or steal items from your character.

THINK FIRST!

Reason:
      When you are account sharing, you are willingly exposing yourself to the risk of being scammed in the most easiest way.

Action:
      Unfortunately since this is a case of account sharing, it is your responsibility if your items get scammed. The Metin 2 UK Team cannot help you in that case.

- Retired -